Saturday, December 20, 2008

pinatas, tamales, and cheek pinching.











Food. Is the best thing in the world. Or at least in mexico. My first morning waking up my pa brought fresh tamales. Fabulous. I've spent the first few days recovering at my sister's house, picking up my ma from the airport, and just putzing around. I spent a day at my dad's place in the country, where I tried to go for a run, forgetting the change in altitude. Two miles and I almost went into a coma. Yesterday was quite the event. My dad's non-profit group, Amextra, had their holiday brunch (at sirloin steakhouse, nonetheless, quite classy!). Lots of people who I've known since I was born, some of who I remember, and some who, without fail, will come up to me and proclaim "I remember you when you were only thiiiiiis big. Do you remember me?!" No. I was six months old, thanks. Luckily, I got placed at the table with the kids (well, my age now) of some family friends who I know well. There was a fun gift exchange, where you were allowed to steal other peoples presents if you rolled a double with the dice. Of course, I felt no shame in stealing from whoever had what I wanted. It's the name of the game. After the luncheon and a big cup of coffee (socializing can be quite draining!), we headed over to my Dad's church, where they were putting on a posada. This is quite possibly my favorite thing about the holidays here. In contrast to the white lights and angelic christmas services in the states, the Posada is a big party celebrating the journey of Mary and Joseph, trying to find room at the inn. After a few false starts (traffic and illness kept a few people from coming), the night began with the kid's play, an adaptation of the christmas story. One of the members of the church, a dramaturg, wrote the script, hilariously I might add. My dad ended up filling one of the roles as a mexican style shepherd, complete with a bottle of tequila. After the play, everyone grabbed candles and sang the posada, where one group stands inside pretending to be the inkeepers, and the other group outside pretending to be mary and joseph. At the end, Mary and Joseph find their stable, and everyone lights sparklers and they break out the pinatas and tamales. The groudskeeper of the church had two sons, about seven and four years old, who were careening around uncontrollably all night. The seven year old took a shining to me and I must admit, reminded me of Colin, so we hung out all night and I explained to him what everything was about and listened to him tell me stories about his cats and how his brother has this phone that plays videos and its the coolest thing ever. Honestly, his company was way better than more chit chat with people who semi-remembered me. Plus, he was as excited as I was about the pinatas. I got some great action pictures, and had a really good time with everyone, finally getting home around ten to rest and watch some episodes of Hannah Montana on my computer before bed.

1 comment:

  1. i saw this display of hannah montana things at target and i pictured you standing next to me and saying "i want to go to there." i'm glad i figured out you had a blog, yay reading material while i'm in bed still recovering! I MISS YOU I MISS YOU I MISS YOU I MISS YOU oh also i miss you.

    ReplyDelete