Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Playing Catch up





Wow, I just realized its been over a month since I was on this thing. Well, mid February Jon headed off to Calgary for his cousins wedding. He loved being in cold weather again. Just kidding.  Jordan, Jon´s brother joined us at the end of February. He loves it down here, and I haven´t heard him complain about anything yet. His friend Dana followed him down here on March 1st. While Jon and Jordan were in Calgary, I took the opportunity to visit my dad at his place outside of Mexico City. It was a great getaway. Cats and movies and fireplaces. At the beginning of March, Jordan, Jon and I moved out to the southern edge of town, to the best apartment in the history of life. Its a great place, with a breeze, a huge tree over the balcony, a view. Both bedrooms are legitimately awesome, so I don´t feel bad that Jordan has the smaller bed. In fact I´m a little jealous. Our bed is so big I feel like I´m drowning in it! A big change from having to share a single in the last place. My pa came to visit for a quick weekend trip, so Jon and I slept on one of the couches, and even THAT was comfortable. Having my dad come down was really fun, to show off my town, take him around. I think his favorite part was Xocodiva, this great chocolate store, though he wont admit it since he is supposed to not eat sweets. He took us all out to dinner as a treat, and when we got to the restaurant we weren´t sure if it would be right, and the hostess thought we were going to leave and so offered us all a free glass of wine with dinner. so we ate there, and it ended up being one of the best meals we have had yet. (ignoring the fact that for the most part we only spend about 10 dollars a meal, and survive greatly on spaghetti and pb and j...). 

On the work front, we have now worked at the school for about 2 and a half months. It growing on me. Zoey ended up coming on as full staff and is a huge help in class. Jon´s help quit, so now he is all alone in class. Every so often Dana or Jordan will show up, and I think they enjoy the work. My class has been fun, we have invented several games in which the stressfulness of teaching is relieved by making the students do things that make us laugh. Last week as a friday surprise, we blasted reggaeton and made them dance with moves that corresponded to the weekly vocabulary. That week was ¨family¨. I think my favorite was the grandpa. 

Jon found a private english student 5 days a week, which he is pretty excited about. I´m proud that he is so good of  a teacher that he can get paid for private lessons. I think I have decided to give up on my job search. After interviewing at numerous places i found that if you aren´t willing to work 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, and commit longer than 6 months for about 3 dollars a day, then you´re not going to find work. Laura is coming soon (NEXT WEEK!) and after that, we are thinking of going to Mexico City for a week in spring break. So, having to work like crazy just to make enough to eat, and having to give up the ability to enjoy my time here just didn´t make sense. So I´m buckling down and saving what I have for as long as I can. The funny thing is, I found a babysitting job for a week in April. That one week of babysitting will pay me as much as if I worked every day until then. So if I can find the random job every so often, I think I can make it. I wrote to the orphanage, the animal shelter, and the ecotours place to volunteer so that I don´t go crazy in my free time. 

Ill keep you posted on my sanity

2 comments:

  1. I was going to say, it's been a while. Glad to hear you guys got a good apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's best that you devote all of your attention to me when i'm there.

    ReplyDelete